The Blades were the first professional hockey team to play in Louisville. They were part of the IHL in 1948-49 and the USHL in 1949-50. Affiliated with the NHL’s Toronto Maple Leafs, they played their games at the Louisville Gardens. In their first year of existence, they fared well, finishing first overall, but losing in the first round of the playoffs. The second year they finished a dismal 6th overall. The team was “dropped” by the USHL in 1950, playing their last game on March 19th.